Sunday, May 9, 2010

Stuff I Really Like

I recently saw the drawing show at the Amon Carter Museum again. I have always loved the Carter for it's collection of American art, and it's riches in 20th century modernism. The show is drawn from the works on paper collection at the Wadsworth Atheneum and in terms of some of my favorite painters, it is amazing. All 20th century.

Take for example:
Arthur Dove



This work is in the show, and it has always been a favorite. The larger oil and wax emulsion version is in the collection at Yale University Art Gallery. This work is great, sorry for the bad web image, but the bleeding and the use of textured white paper is a knockout.

There are also a lot of small 4 x5 " sketches that Dove made in his late career for larger finshed oils. They are phenomenal. There is a small sketch for his painting Flight, that is now in the Phillips collection in DC.

Here is a sample of one of Dove's small sketches, not in the exhibition.



These are so tiny, and made from oil, casein, gasoline, wax, among other things. He was very experimental in the materials he used.

My favorite work by Dove is a collage titled, Rain, from 1924. It is a collage of a metal sheet, a little paint, rubber cement, and twigs. It is the most amazing work and it lives at the National Gallery in DC. It was O'Keeffe's, and she kept it to the end of her life. I cannot find an image at present, but I will.

The Demuth's in the show are very nice as well. Here is one.



I think this work is a bit faded, and unfortunately there are better Charles Demuth still-life paintings. The best Demuth's in the show are Eight O'Clock (Evening and Morning). It was my first time to see them in person.

The show ends May 30 so get over to see it. The Carter is Free. I will post more of my favorites from the show later.

No comments:

Post a Comment